Jennifer Brower Reviews Automize 9 by HiTek Software
I am always on the lookout for inexpensive software at a low cost. One such product is Automize 9 by HiTek Software. Automize is a VERY robust task scheduler and automation software. The program is written in Java and is cross-platform compatible. Platforms supported include: Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7; and, MacOSX 10.5-10.6.
Quoting the HiTek Software website, Automize provides:
- “Easy to use task scheduler: No programming or scripting required, graphical interface;”
- “Scripting features are available for advanced users and programmers;”
- “Powerful, flexible, reliable and affordable;”
- “Run 1000+ tasks a day using a flexible task scheduler;”
- “Timely and Free technical support before and after you purchase;”
- “FREE 30-day trial and FREE minor upgrades,”
- “Runs on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and other Unix platforms”
This software has 5 parts, each description is quoted from the HiTek website:
- Automize –“This is our flagship product. Automize is the leader in multi-platform (Windows, Mac OSX and Linux) advanced task scheduling and automation software.”
- AutoKrypt – “Data encryption software designed for automation. Automatically encrypt or decrypt, files and folders on a schedule. Encryption methods include password based, secret key, public key and private key, OpenPGP password, Open PGP public and private key.”
- JaSFTP – “Secure FTP (SFTP), designed with automation in mind, so you do not have to spend time interactively transferring files. For Windows, Mac OSX, Linux and other Unix platforms.”
- AbleFTP – “Not just another FTP client! AbleFtp is designed with automation in mind, so you do not have to spend time interactively transferring files. For Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.”
- JaBack – “Backup software designed to automate all your backup, synchronization, and archiving tasks.”
I truly enjoy using Automize to schedule tasks and manage SFTP/FTP transfers. I often use this program to monitor directories and FTP folders across my network and use the encryption feature to decrypt and encrypt files sent to various clients. I often use the email feature to let myself know that a task has been completed successfully.
There is a chaining feature that allows me to create a script that will go step by step through a process such as decrypting data, manipulating it, encrypting it again, and then sending the file via FTP to the correct server. I can receive an email when the process succeeds or fails. I enjoy using Open PGP encryption. I can also schedule the process to run by the second or minute, or on a hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly basis. I can store FTP login information, do FTP browsing, zip/unzip/view ZIP files, use their customizable logging features, and more. I can access SQL databases and Office programs as well. I also schedule a backup of all tasks.
There are 3 packages: Standard ($229.95), Professional ($279.95), and Enterprise ($329.95). The Enterprise version is the best deal and it includes all functionality. A Product Feature Grid is attached below.
The only negatives I experienced were learning how to use the software and initial setup on my server. The main problem was that the forum – which is like a huge FAQ site – was down for about a month before deploying my solution. I wasn’t able to find out until the minute how to set up the tasks to run without being logged into the server via the NT Service Module. After I learned how to do that, it was a breeze. Also, the software interface takes time to grow on you.
Finally, Automize is the only task scheduler software that I recommend to my small and midsize clients.